Your wings already exist, all you have to do is Fly!
We are all fascinated by Airplanes. We love to see them take off, fly above and beyond the clouds, wonder where it’s headed, and wish we were on it at that moment, jet setting in style to our dream destination.
All of us are keen on exploring exotic destinations but postpone our travel due to sky-high airfares. A rise in the price of international crude oil, manpower and resources have added to the steeper costs of flights. Airfare today consists of almost 60% of your travel costs, and saving money on flight tickets helps with more money for travel, meals, accommodation, adventure and shopping!
Based on the TravelbugDiary’s research and personal experience, we have found you a few ways to buy the cheapest flight tickets to the destination of your dreams.
Be Flexible with your Destination
- Always have a Plan B, Plan C, Plan D. Always plan ahead and have multiple destinations in mind when it comes to your travel. Visit Kayak Explore (enter your home airport and hit search) and save a ton of last minute flight deals.
- Fly to the secondary airport in the same city – Most big cities have one, as they are used mostly by budget airlines and charge lesser landing fee. My flight from Honolulu, Hawaii to San Jose was 30% cheaper than to land at San Francisco.
Be Flexible with your Travel dates and save 20%
- Fly on weekdays especially Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Most flights on Friday through Monday are in demand ergo cost more.
- Fly early mornings or late nights as few people want to travel at that time.
- Look for flights a few days or even weeks before or even after your chosen date to find a price difference.
- Avoid Major Holiday weeks.
Search Early and Often
- Airlines usually release tickets a few months in advance and their prices fluctuate like the stock market.
- Studies have shown that best prices are usually available 3 – 7 weeks before the flight.
- Keep track of the prices twice a week and if you are certain of the destination and dates, be ready to jump on it!
- Golden rule – Never buy too early or too late! (Unless on crazy deals).
Grab Crazy Deals, Discounts and Flash Sales from Airlines
- Budget airlines give away crazy deals on flights to be taken 4 – 6 months in future. Don’t think twice, Don’t even Blink. Book It! They get sold out in no time.
- Subscribe to Airline mailing list to get updates and be the first in line.
Try Alternate routes/airlines on Long haul flights
- Its cheaper to fly between major hubs so choose a budget airline to fly to your destination.
- New York – London – Amsterdam costs cheaper than New York – Amsterdam. Also Bangalore – Kochi – Kuala Lumpur costs cheaper than Bangalore – Kuala Lumpur.
- Most flights with a much longer layover are cheaper. Be adventurous, use that time for a quick visit to the city if your visa permits.
Split your group tickets into separate purchases
- An airline has 2 seats left at a discounted price of $100 each and others are for $150 each. But you need 4 seats and your results show up tickets for $150 each, not offering any tickets for the $100 price.
- At times like this, first search for 4 tickets to ensure seat availability on the same flight.
- Then search for 2 tickets and buy them for $100 and the rest 2 for $150. You just saved $100 in total.
Book Return flight tickets with the same airline
- Flying to and fro with the same airline is much cheaper than using different airlines for each direction.
- Sometimes, round trip tickets are cheaper than a one-way ticket. If you are flying only one way, then you can forfeit the return flight.
All Search Engines were not born equal – So Try ’em All
- Most search engines are affiliated with certain airlines and do not list budget airlines.
- It is important to look for the your chosen flight on different sites and find the best deal.
- Personally I have noticed several variations on prices between popular websites.
Use Most Trusted Search Engines out there
- Kayak – The simplest, easiest and oldest one around to start your flight search.
- Skyscanner – My favorite site, searches even budget airlines and takes you straight to webpages to make the payment. No middle-man.
- Momondo – A new kid on the block offers the cheapest, best deal ever on flights.
- Airfarewatchdog – Persistently monitors price on your chosen flight and sends an alert when the price drops.
- MakeMyTrip – For Indian domestic flights.
Always use incognito mode or delete cookies on your browser
- Most websites store your flight search history in browser cookies and the moment you return to the websites, they jack up the prices and show only a few seats are remaining. This gets you panic stricken and gets you to purchase the ticket right away.
- This is the oldest trick in the book and you can hack it by going Incognito for each search!
Before making the payment, Check the official airline site once
- Many airlines have cheaper airfare for the same flight only on their site.
Budget Airlines – The Good, The Bad, The Ugly
- The Good – They are Cheap and offer great deals and discounts. They say “A penny saved is a penny earned.”
- The Bad – No Food or Drink or Water, Less than comfortable seating and leg room, No on-board entertainment.
- The Ugly – Beware of the fine print and come prepared.
- Only free Cabin baggage (upto 7 kgs) and additional check-in baggage (upto 23 kgs) is chargeable. It’s best to book extra baggage along with your flight tickets as its more expensive at the airport.
- You must check-in online and print your ticket. Extra charges applied at the airport.
- Extra charged applied for choosing your seat. Use SeatGuru instead to choose the best comfortable seat on any airplane.
Have a Safe Flight!
Please do share your additional tips, thoughts, suggestions to find that cheapest flight that you would like to add here based on your personal experience.